Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Fighting Nazi Stephen Bannon: My Letter to Sen. Marco Rubio

11/15/16

Dear Sen. Rubio,

As a Jew, a rabbi, and an American, I am very concerned over the appointment of the racist Stephen Bannon to be Donald Trump's chief of staff. (I am not happy with many of his other associates, either, including his vice-president.) Bannon is well-known as a head of breitbart.com, a scurrilous, racist, anti-semitic online rag which regularly prints lies about President Obama, African-Americans, Jews, and other issues.

I have been a rabbi for nearly forty years. I am also a college English professor, with the majority of my students African-American and Hispanic-American. These are wonderful young people (and some not so young) who are hard-working, with jobs, and most of them with families. They are eager to achieve their piece of the American Dream, and I am privileged to be able to help them as much as I can.

Sen. Rubio, I am very busy with my weekend Shabbat temple job (Temple Sholom of Pompano Beach) and my teaching. You, Sir, are busy, as well, with all the tumult in Washington, D.C.

I would be happy to invite you to speak at our congregation, knowing, of course, that your schedule is immensely crammed with duties of all sorts. I am honored that you, Sir, are our senator, and look forward to your strong efforts in leading us against any sort of divisiveness which may be approaching our nation in the future. I note that you are the son of immigrants, as well, and doubtless repudiate racism in any form. I would be happy to assist by writing any sort of letter you would ask me to.

We have come too far to turn back now. My Polish and Austro-Hungarian immigrant grandparents would be horrified at the developments here in America today. We are a nation of immigrants, as I tell my students, even those of us who were born here. I love my students and want to see them all be safe and succeed.

Thank you for your attention.

With Best Wishes,

Rabbi David Hartley Mark